The stats are in: holding events does wonders for marketing and sales. 73% of B2B marketers said holding live events (online and offline) was the best tactic for customer engagement, and many of them believe that events are the most effective marketing channel.
But can you still reap the benefits of planning an event without spending a fortune? Our event budget template can help you with that.
Planning, marketing and holding events can be an expensive endeavour. The cost of live events doesn’t stop at venue bookings, catering and AV equipment rental.
There are the overhead costs of the overall organisation, management and advertising.
However, in this day and age, there are helpful tricks – both traditional and digital – that help to decrease those overhead costs associated with planning an event.
What Is An Event Budget Template?
An event budget template is what event planners use to keep an eye on the expenses and revenue categories that are attributed to your event.
These expenses can include venue costs, staff costs, event marketing costs, travel costs, event expenditures and anything that is specific to your event needs.
For those of you feeling the time crunch, we have an event budget template free download that you can use to ease you into budget planning. Download your free event budget template in Excel or open it up in Google Sheets today.
How Do You Use An Event Budget Template?
Using an event budget template to keep track of your events not only allows you to budget much more accurately but also means you can keep a close eye on your costs making sure they don’t blow out the water.
Using an Event Budget Template like the one we have provided helps you distinguish between the categories where your spending is being attributed to.
The pre-filled categories in the event budget template are a great starting point for an event planner. You can add your own additional categories and keep track of your spending yourself.
Using an Event Budget Template in Excel and Google Sheets
An event budget template can be put together and continuously edited in Google Sheets or Excel. An event budget template in Excel can be opened up in Google Sheets, the same way you can open up a Google sheets template in Excel.
You will need to save your template in Google Sheets as a .csv file or a .xlsx then open up your event budget template in Excel.
If you are collaborating with the wider event team or you would like more than one person to edit and contribute to your event budget template, then be sure to open and save your template using Google Sheets.
Google Sheets allows multiple people to collaborate and edit the document at the same time and has automatic version control. If you are new to Google Sheets then watch this video tutorial on how to use Google Sheets.
Editing your event budget template in Excel means you will have to manage the version control and only allow for one person to edit at a time.
It may be suitable to have your event budget template in Excel if the information is sensitive or you want to complete more complex formulas.
3 Tips For Planning an Event on a Budget
1. How do you create a budget for an event? Try our Event Budget Template
Planning an event on a budget means having and keeping a clear event budget. Obvious, right?
But managing budgets often falls to the wayside, as event planning involves many moving parts, and many pop-up costs – which often distract from proper bookkeeping.
(Budgeting doesn’t have to be a pain – use our event budget template to start budgeting for your event!)
It’s important to not only come up with a solid budget for your event, but to regularly refer back to it and update it as needed. Managing a clear budget will make it much easier to stay within budget when planning an event.
Here are our event budget tips:
- Look at past similar events’ expenditures
- Come up with a rough event budget before you even start planning
- Update your event budget daily, especially as quotes change, and unforeseen costs pop up
- When it comes to choosing vendors, start early and shop around. Compare quotes across multiple vendor options.
- Make sure that your event budget includes a buffer (for unforeseen expenses)
- If your event is paid, figure out ticket prices based on your event’s financing needs.
- What other financing options can you access?
2. How do you organise an event with no money? Find Event Sponsors
A recent study revealed that up to 63% of event marketers depend on event sponsors to source funding for their events.
Event sponsors can give you plenty of financing options, helping you to keep within your budget without compromising on event quality.
There’s just one catch: event sponsors need to be pitched to, woo’d and convinced. Essentially – for the event sponsor – they’re asking: “What’s in it for me?”
Here are our tips for finding and wooing an event sponsor:
- What is your event audience? Find an event sponsor who would benefit from exposure to your event’s audience.
- For example, you’re holding an event for teapot enthusiasts – so you might want to approach brands within the tea industry to sponsor your event.
- Perfect your pitch: figure out what value you are offering to your sponsor.
- E.g. “we will give you a prime talking spot where you can highlight your tea products. We will also plaster your logo on our posters for brand exposure”
- Try to approach poential event sponsors within your own network
- Maybe you already have contacts, friends, and clients working at brands who would make perfect event sponsors. Approach them first! They’re already warmed up to you.
- Deliver on the value promises made to your event sponsor. You want them to be keen to work with you again next time.
Finding and committing event sponsors is a nuanced art form in itself, so it’s well worth research beyond reading this short (and handy) article!
Make sure that if you’re using our event budget template, you customise it to include your event sponsor information – once confirmed!
3. Use Event Planning Tech to Market your Event Cheaply, and Quickly
There are plenty of costs associated with marketing an event that’s why it is important to track these in your event budget template. With the amount of marketing needed, and the countless channels that there are for marketing in 2021, event marketing takes time, resources and staff hours.
Luckily, there are plenty of applications, platforms and software now available to help automate and streamline much of your event marketing needs and help you track and budget for your event.
By switching from traditional methods to digital and by accurately tracking your spending in your event budget template, you can drastically save on overhead, helping you keep well within your event budget when planning an event.
- Digital registration forms with integrated payment gateways for managing paid tickets
- Automated email invites, reminders, and thank yous
- Auto-responses for registration confirmation, declination and cancellation
- Automated feedback surveys
- Automated storage of registrants in online databases; where they can be edited and managed
- Event apps for on the day attendance marking and last-minute communications
Powerful Event Management Software
At Swift Digital, we run the best event solutions software in the whole of Australia. Packed to the rafters with event automation features, there’s not much it can’t do when organising and running events.
The benefits of running events, whether you hold physical or virtual events are endless. 52% of respondents asked about the importance of events in their marketing strategy said that events drove more results than other marketing channels.
Planning an event is always hard work.
Make things easier for yourself by using our event management software. It can automate a lot of the work that helps you to promote, plan, and execute a successful event.
Ask the experts at Swift Digital about how we can help automate the process of organising and marketing your corporate events (virtual or face-to-face).
The simplest definition of a budget is “telling your money where to go”.
The Preferred Email, Events and SMS Automation Software For All Australian Government Departments
Swift Digital’s templates help you effortlessly create stunning emails and events communications using our drag-and-drop email and event builder.
You can raise engagement with embedded images, videos, polls, article feedback, and emojis and schedule messages to send at the right time.
Government departments’ unique marketing requirements are covered with Swift Digital, and full compliance with all anti-spam and privacy laws is guaranteed. Swift Digital is also ISO 27001 certified.
Find out why we’re the Australian government department’s number one choice for their professional communications and events.
To find out how your business can get the best out of Swift Digital’s platform, contact our team today.
Don’t forget to share this post!