The best solution, in my experience, is just to write. And write. And write. Regardless of if it turns out to be something really interesting or something really boring and awful. Starting is the hurdle, you can always edit once you’ve got some words on paper. (Or screen, these days.)
Nearly all writers face this at some stage. Here’s a few ideas and exercises that might help you work through it.
- Don’t stop before you start. You might have a dozen of ideas, but you’re hung up on getting them down perfectly. In this situation, the most effective exercise is to just jot them down. Make a list, cross things out, scribble things down as a stream of consciousness. As you loosen up, the words will start to flow.
- Too many ideas, too little time. Often, the ideas that come to you in the initial few minutes will form the backbone of the final outcome. However, don’t discard other great ideas that may come up but just don’t fit for today. Keep track of these and whip them out to make future writing much easier, quicker and more palatable.
- Approach it from a different angle. There will be occasions when you feel stuck right in the middle of something. You need to do something to get to the story moving again. Try to explain it aloud using different words, or consider alternative arguments.
- Take a break, but remain productive. Some writers feel blocked or bored if they continue to work on the same project for too long. Switching back and forth between one project and another prevents boredom and writer’s block.
- Read a book or article
- Change your environment
- Get some fresh air and head for a walk
- Freewriting/stream of consciousness writing
- Make yourself a drink, maybe some coffee or tea
- Brainstorming and mind mapping – doodling ideas visually
- Listen to music – instrumentals and soundtracks can be perfect background noise while writing
The Preferred Email, Events and SMS Automation Software For All Australian Government Departments
Swift Digital’s templates help you effortlessly create stunning emails and events communications using our drag-and-drop email and event builder.
You can raise engagement with embedded images, videos, polls, article feedback, and emojis and schedule messages to send at the right time.
Government departments’ unique marketing requirements are covered with Swift Digital, and full compliance with all anti-spam and privacy laws is guaranteed. Swift Digital is also ISO 27001 certified.
Find out why we’re the Australian government department’s number one choice for their professional communications and events.
To find out how your business can get the best out of Swift Digital’s platform, contact our team today.
Don’t forget to share this post!